Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Dognapped!

Of all the crazy and bizarre things that happen in my life, this one takes the cake. First off, my 5 days off were extremely boring and consisted of getting ranch work done, horses rode, and my carpets and floor cleaned by hand...oh yeah, I paid bills also. I did actually go to the modified car races on Saturday night to watch the fireworks and discovered Maverick is very scared of them and can cover a lot of ground very quickly. I walked over two miles to finally find him running back to me, so who knows how far he actually ran.

Anyway...so last night I'm sitting on the couch paying bills and hear a vehicle slow down on the road in front of the place. This isn't strange since a student was killed in my drive last spring and people slow down to see the stuff others have left there (whole other story I'm not happy about and am not getting into...). So a few minutes later I head out to take the dogs for a walk and Mav and Sedona are gone. No biggie since they head over to the ditch all the time for a swim so I started walking that way and calling them. Nothing. So then I get mad 'cause I figure Sedona headed down to harass the Goose and Chicken and start that way. Nothing. Now I'm a bit worried so I go out to the road and am looking around and calling...still nothing. I decided to head out with Dixie thinking maybe they just can't hear me since the wind was blowing and start covering the front 200 acres or so along the fence line. Nothing. I call the Sheriff and ask if anyone brought in two dogs off the Hwy. They don't have anything but let the guys know I'm missing my dogs and to bring them home if they find them. This is now about 2 hours into the search and I'm starting to panic since these are like my kids we're talking about here! Ok- I'm heading out in my truck now to see if they made it down to one of the county roads, thinking the whole time time this is impossible, and that they never leave the property or ever go out of calling distance.

And this Bronco pulls into my drive, opens the door and out come the missing pups. The guys like, "we thought these might be your dogs". Now I have no idea who these folks are, but I'm so happy to see them! I ask where he found them and he replies down by the fence...I'm confused and ask what fence? And he says the white one...I look over at MY white fence at the drive about 100 feet away and ask, "my fence?" And he's like "yeah, a few hours ago..." I'm way confused now because I'm thinking this guy stopped and took my dogs from MY yard. Which he did. I don't know why he brought them back, or even why he took them, but I'm just glad to have them. I'm definitely keeping them in the backyard from now on near Dixie who'll eat anyone she doesn't know who comes too close.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

That is so bizarre. glad he came to his senses, but sounds fishy to me.
I met a dog at the adoption event (still trying to get Jack Sparrow the cat adopted), his name is Huff. He's a 1.5 yr old male black german shepherd mix and very sweet. Unfortunaely the foster kitten hates dogs, so I will have to wait. crap, just looked him up, already pending adoption. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6504985 at least he found a good home...

alanna rose said...

Lock your doors! It sounds to me like the work of a nutjob, I get scared thinking about you out in the big wilderness - so please, please, lock your doors :)

Crystal said...

Dude, I'm thinking the guy didn't realize the white fence was part of your yard and that he thought he was being helpful by picking up what he thought were "stray" dogs. Or something.

Danielle Michelle said...

I'm thinking they were drunk for the 4th or something actually 'cause there is no mistaking my big 'ol ranch for anything else...Nobody is within a mile of me.