Thursday, October 09, 2008

What I've Been Up To...

October is always a crazy month. 1st Quarter in school ends, Parent/Teacher conferences, grade books have to be up to date for report cards....ALL the cattle are coming down from the mountains and I start getting my winter jobs.

Other than school I've been spending a lot of time on the weekends moving cattle and riding horses. Yesterday I got a job 'legging-up' a race horse for the winter season. I'm very excited about this even though I'm going to have to put in some long hours after work each day. Legging-up is a term we use to build up the muscles in a horses legs, and overall tone and condition the horse. Because this area has a LOT of sand I ride the horses through our empty canals when the water has emptied out. Remember how tiring walking through sand can be?

This weekend we brought in cattle in Pagosa Spring. This has to be one of the most beautiful areas in the state.Where we brought cattle in...yes, it has snowed already!


Behind the ranch house in the valley



Our Neighbors




Wrigley is growing! He's best friend with Al, Izzy's one surviving kitten from her c-section this spring. He's a spoiled brat and get's away with everything and goes everywhere with me!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Wrigley is adorable!! I love it that he is best buds with the cat!! Too cute! I bet he doesn't pick too many fights with your big dog!! LOL!! I love his big ears. Too cute. I bet moving cows around is fun. I have only ever done team penning. I have never moved a herd of cattle. I think that would be so much fun. I say that because I really have no idea!! :) Seems like you have been super busy!

Cheryl Ann said...

Beautiful photos of the country! WOW! Parent conferences ALREADY? Ours aren't until December! Phew! I lost 2 students this week. One moved to another school and one left to be home schooled. Now I'm down to 19 from 21.