Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ringo

You've probably been wondering what's been going on with Ringo...

Last fall we had him ridden in the pens at the Zapata with another horse and rider; just moving up and down the alleyways.  Then I started working him again a few weeks ago...and he bucked me off.  I don't have the time to get on him every day or so until it's time to put the miles on this summer, so I asked my friend's husband, Tom,  if he would get on a him a few times a week. 

The first day he bitted him up he didn't know Ringo had never worked off a bit before - and thought he was a piece of work for about 20 minutes, but after he 'reminded' him he said he did really, really well.  When I told him that he'd never worked off a bit, just held it in his mouth - he was all surprised and said he did way better then he had thought. 

Then he rode him again for about a half hour a few days later and he did real good in the pens and alleys.

Then we branded. And Tom decided to drive cattle with him. Not only was this the first time Ringo was to be out of an enclosed area, it was only Tom's third time riding him off a bit. Look how he did:


Moving out

Backing

After picking up dropped items

And after the initial 'out of corral' expereince...Tom chased down a stray calf at a trot through knee deep water.  I think he's going to make a good horse!

No comments: