Saturday, December 02, 2006

Feel the Burn!

Burning thighs, windchapped skin, dehydration headache, lack of oxygen...not to mention fresh, boot deep powder and backcountry, empty runs...Yup! Couldn't love it more...My ski season has officially started! I know I'm a bit late for Colorado, but seeing as I haven't been home and really busy otherwise, this isn't too bad. Monarch was open less than I week before I managed to get there! It doesn't have snow-machines, so they have to wait until something piles up! The day was perfect, but overcast and snowy, which only called for more powder! It actually was perfect, because where it had been groomed was a hard snowpack, and where it hadn't, deep powder. It was like skiing back at Ripley...good choices and a good challenge! The pictures don't do the hill justice. It is an UNBELIEVABLE view from up there! Seeing as that I have a season pass, I'll be back and get some pics to show you all what I mean! Here is just a preview looking down the hill. I'm about 3/4 of the way down this run. That's the parking lot waaayyyy down at the bottom.




Today was a bit of a chore...literally. I have a ton of Forestry work I'm supposed to be getting done, but decided I really need to move some hay today first, and good thing I did! A storm rolled in about 3:00, just as I was unloading the last bit of hay. Not much snow, but I'm sure the hills got hammered once again! I may say to hell with work tomorrow and go skiing instead! I also had the fun chore of trying to de-freeze the stock tanks. Despite having heaters, one continues to freeze. I put a new heater in it today, so we'll see how it goes. Normally the sun warms things enough during the day to thaw everything out, but we had a REAL cold spell a few nights ago and one pump froze solid. I got it thawed out with a blowtourch, brought the float into the house to thaw, and now have water again. Keep your fingers crossed for me I'm not repeating this procedure everyday.

I am exhausted though. Screw this "I am woman, hear me roar" feminist bullcrap. I have the calluses to prove it, I CAN do it by myself. Do I want to? No way in hell. This sucks. Somebody send me a man with muscles I can appreciate. Please?


Some of you asked how I stay in shape... I loaded that pickup and trailer on my own. Thank you very much! That's a little over three tons there (6000+ lbs) that I loaded and then UNLOADED by myself. That's 12,000+ lbs altogether. Oh, each bale is about 70 lbs each as well. About 30 bales to a ton, well, you do the math. Lots of lifts, squats and swearing....I'd much rather go for a run if somebody would help me! Any takers? *REALLY big sigh* Oh well. Did I mention I hurt? LOL

3 comments:

Kara said...

Are you crazy??? I would pay someone to load the truck.

Danielle Michelle said...

Try finding somebody to do it! It's impossible! A million welfarers and nobody to get a job. Go figure. I may be a bit nuts though...the boards still out...

Laura said...

Get yourself a skid steer! Hook the forks on and lifting becomes a piece of cake!