Monday, April 06, 2009

The Creative Revival

So I DID say I was going to start harnessing my inner creativity again. Some of you may know and some of you may not, but I was THIS CLOSE to going to art school in Chicago on a partial scholarship. Unfortunately 'partial' barely covered a semester at that pricey place. I don't regret it though, because I have two degrees I'm using and enjoy AND I get to be creative when it suits me. The past few years have not seen much in the way of art concerning my life, but lately I've really started to get back into it all. For someone who's had their work published I think it's important I 'keep the juices flowing' per se. For example, I'm really proud of learning how to use Photoshop enough to create my new header and background!

My mom is a fabric artist, and though I traditionally worked in pencils and ink, I've expanded to 3 dimensional (but am still scared of my sewing machine...so I'm working up to it).

I like how a lot of my photography has been coming along, and I've got some other really great ideas, but this is what I was inspired to work with this weekend:


When Randi was in town I picked up the pendant at a store in Creede. I had a lot of natural stone from past inspirations (that I hadn't acted on) and Lapis sent to me from Afghanistan, so I decided it was time...

This is what it looks like on: I know it's not a great pic - but for size reference...

What do you think? Would my work be worth selling? I really had fun doing this and have had a lot of compliments! It's hammered silver and silver wire, lapis, turquoise, agate, smokey quartz, amber and a few small red crystals that match the pendant and to bring out the reds.

9 comments:

randi said...

Oh, Oh, Oh I love how it turned out! :)

h said...

You could try Etsy. Mel sells stuff on there so you could talk to her to see how much she sells, how hard/easy it is, etc. My creative outlet is making greeting cards and doing random projects around the house.

Kara said...

Looks great. I really like the colors.

I know my posts prior to March are gone. I delete them and only keep so many. I guess it is because my blog is public and I don't like the thought of random people misusing the information that I write, so instead of going private, I remove posts as I go. But thanks for noticing and letting me know :)

alanna rose said...

I love it!

Carroll Farm said...

very nice. i think you should sell it, it may be fun!

Stephie said...

Iy sister makes and sells jewelry and she loves it, so does my mom and I because we get to snag the really cool stuff. I totally suggest doing it!

AJ said...

I love oranges and blues together. Very pretty!

Andrea said...

It's so cute!! I love the different size beads! I saw a necklace kinda like that at a western store yesterday. It had two strands like that one, and it was make with square shaped turquoise beads. Then you could buy sliders to go over it!! It was very cool. Your necklace reminded me of those!! Very well done!!

The Wades said...

You are quite the talent!! I'm impressed. I lack a creativity gene. :) I say go for it.