Monday, April 17, 2006

Like I Need Another Dog

A bit of a spontaneous weekend on many different levels! Ended up in Penrose and Pueblo with friends for a night, road-tripping, and just pretty much enjoying life. Also have an addition to the family (I know, I know...). Been seriously considering getting a cow dog in the fall, so been keeping up with breeders who may have pups this summer. Many of you also know I have an affinity for Boxer's, but since they have such a high rate of cancer, I always keep my eyes open for a good cross (hence Dixie, a Boxer/Rottie mix). So what do you get when you cross a Walker Coonhound and a Boxer? Maverick!
Mav's 10 weeks old and just came from Kentucky last week so his life has been in a bit of upheaval lately. His sisters looked more Boxer-ish, but he's lanky and I think is going to look more like a hound dog with the Boxer coloring. He took to my girls pretty well. Dixie really likes him which is surprising because normally she's pretty jealous of other dogs in the house, and Sedona can't get over the fact I brought her home a new playmate. She keeps jumping on him, but I wonder how long that'll last once he begins to outweigh her...

Maverick's not too sure of his new mama yet. He kept hiding from me all day yesterday. I found him under the couch, the bed, the porch and behind the chicken coop. Once I picked him up he cuddled up pretty good and liked to be carried around. He checked out the new calves with me yesterday and and stuck his nose up a couple of horses nostrils when they came to see what he was. Maggie and a paint I have on the property (I call her Jezabel for good reason) wouldn't leave him alone and followed me around for a good half hour trying to figure out what Mav was. I started the whole kennel thing last night, but after the first 20 minutes of his howling I decided to let him just sleep with me since I really needed to get some sleep. I figure he can start today while I'm at work. He pretty much slept the whole night through except for once when he woke up to go outside. He's pretty funny 'cause he won't bark, doesn't whine or whimper, just kind of moans when he wants something and stuck a paw in my eye. So the first night was a success and he started following me around this morning and responding to his name, so maybe he's figured out his new mum isn't so bad afterall. Having problems getting him to eat though. He's already kind of skinny, so if he doesn't clean up what I left out for him I'm going to have to find an alternative. Thank God I live on a ranch eh?

1 comment:

rae rae said...

What a handsome new edition to your family.... You sure you're not ready for kids? LOL!