Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Wednesday, April 19th...10:20 am

Dear Students,

As I am your loving teacher, I'd like to point out a few observations I have made and make a few suggestions that I believe will make the rest of this school year run smoothly. Technically speaking, after today we only have 4 weeks of school left, or 16 full days of class in which I get to see your smiling faces. I'd like to remind you that you are not in a position to question why you must write final papers, why the book reports are in fact mandatory for this quarter's grade, nor why we are not watching movies for the remainder of the semester. I'd also like to point out that you are not in a position to argue with me when I ask you to remove your hats, earphones, watch your language, get off MySpace and do some work, stop kissing in the hall, or to follow any other basic school rules. Until you are dismissed for the summer I own you.

Also, when I ask you to do something, I expect you to do it NOW. Not "in a minute", tomorrow, later, "after I finish this", 30 seconds from now...I mean NOW as in it should have already been done. Because this is so hard to get through your thick skulls, many of you are losing points for simply not following direction. I'm asking you to rethink this way of thinking. Ten possible participation points for staying on task, or zero points for not following direction. I don't see why the decision is so difficult.

Yes, I understand the weather is becoming quit beautiful out and the sun is shining. Hence why I asked you to begin bringing your books with you to class everyday so we may enjoy some spontaneous outdoor reading on the high-jump mats. Since listening seems to be such a difficult concept for many of you to grasp, I don't anticipate this happening. Instead you will be stuck working in my classroom with a crabby teacher who would rather be outside reading in the sun. I told you paying attention may pay off one day... unfortunately you must all seem to learn the hard way.

There are some issues I have with your manners as well. Since we live in such a small town, I know many of your parents and know they raised you with manners. Because I know this, I am very confused as to why the words 'please', 'thank you' and 'you're welcome' are not in your vocabulary. Can any of you explain this to me? I know two year olds that seem to have a larger vocabulary than many of you. Perhaps we can work on this? My suggestion is that when I refuse to give you something until you ask politely, such as a bathroom pass or snack pass, you comply and use the aforementioned words.

I am sure that many of you expect me to continue on, but being the fair teacher that I am, I will only give you a small portion to chew on for the time being least you choke. I'm asking you to PLEASE consider my suggestions because I feel they will make the remainder of the school year run smoothly and go by quickly. THANK YOU.

Miss. McLeod

1 comment:

Diana said...

Ah, educating tomorrow's geniuses. Sounds like fun. LOL