Saturday, June 03, 2006

I Want A Vespa!

No pictures yet today, but we rose at about 7:30 am (I was up at 6:15 I guess...no jet lag for me evidently...), had breakfast and headed out for a tour of the city and the Acropolis. Our tour guide was horrid, and myself and the director answered more questions about Greek Mythology than she could, so, oh well. All I can say about seeing some of these ruins up close was...humbling. It was amazing to see where democracy was born and walk up the same marble walkways men such as Marc Antony and Julias Ceasar once stood, not to mention Homer and so many other fathers of the Republic.

Currently I'm sitting in an Interest 'cafe' updating everyone who's probably been so patiently waiting. It's been a fairly long day so far...almost 5 pm here, so most all of you are just getting up. We shopped all afternoon in the Plaka district. Hit up the Harley Davidson shop and picked up some museum copies of artifacts....very cool.

Anyway, look for another update and more pics in the next few days!

Oh, Question of the day...who can tell me what a Vespa is? You get the satisfaction of knowing what everybody rides around out here when they aren't on a motorcycle or attempting suicide by riding in a Taxi.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's Hadrian's arch...is katherine o.k. with her meds, and harley davidson store,?!??! is That what you're doing?!??

Kara said...

What are places do you plan on visiting? Any really cool shopping places?

Anonymous said...

oh, by the way...a vespa is a moped

Lesley said...

There is a Vespa club here in Berkley so we see a lot of them here too, but not nearly as many as there.
I didn't know Marc Antony and Julius Ceasar were in Greece all that much, weren't they Roman emperors? Greece became part of the Roman empire I know, but didn't think they were there much. :-)
I guess I need to brush up on history, it has been a long time.
Glad you are having fun!!

Danielle Michelle said...

Kat's fine, went shopping...lots of history...see the pics! I knew it was Hadrian's Arch...just a Typo in the spell check. Yes, Roman Emperors used Greece as a major center for living and politics also.

Crystal said...

Madison is crawling with Vespas... all colors and sizes. It was a little freaky at first, but now I'm used to it.

Diana said...

Vespa, shmespa....Americans want gas-guzzling trucks with a huge off-road and tow package.

Glad to hear you're having fun. MORE PICTURES :)