Thursday, June 08, 2006

Ship Ahoy!

Despite having pics to load, I'm not becaus ethe service is WAY slow and I'm not paying a ton to miss walking around the island. I'll try and get them up another time...maybe in Athens.

We landed in Crete this morning but didn't do much of anything. We just finished riding mules up to Santorini, which was quite the ride! It is amazing here. The city is on top of the mountains, so you can walk, take a cable car, or ride mules. I'll post pics of that tomorrow if I can while in Athens. Santorini is the site of the fabled isle of Atlantis. The island chains were formed from a volcanic eruption around the 1500's BC. A chain of Tsunamis and earthquakes preceded and followed causing the center of the island to sink. Ruins have been found that are quite advanced off the coast.

This is our last day at sea and we will debark in Athens tomorrow morning around 7:30. We have an trip out to the Temple of Poseidon and then get to bed early for our 6 am flight out. It has been a great trip and I think everyone has really enjoyed it.

Patmos and Ephesus were profound sites to visit for me. The grotto of St. John was amazing. In Ephesus the ruins were massive and it's just hard to comprehend how large this civilization from so long ago was. I promise to get pics up!

No comments: