Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Miscellaneous Information and Rantings of a Wednesday Morning...

First off...vote of the week: How many of you out there think you can base the start of a possible relationship off with only being able to see each other at completely random times because you both work crazy hours? Wait, there's more: and when you do get to see each other, it's to crash in front of the tv to watch the news or a movie where you both usually fall asleep because you're exhausted. I'm just curious, and frustrated. I just feel like it's hard to get to know someone in such a 'controlled' situation. Do you think I should bring this up as a possible conversation between us, because I think I'd really like to get to know this person a lot better.

GO COWBOYS!

We took our Cheer and Dance pictures a few weeks ago and I just got them back. Sorry they're in B&W, but I' m too busy to scan the color copy and this is all I have. For you Packer fans, our colors are Packer Green and Gold...go figure! Big squad eh? But big enough for a manager! Had some issues with coaching this team this year. The biggest one was lack of discipline and self-motivation. Sound familiar? They didn't want to keep their grades up or practice. So I made them do homework instead of practice until they hated that so much the grades stayed up and we had practice instead. Reverse psychology does seem to work occasionally...

One of the reasons I'm so crazy busy this week is that I'm dancing in the production of Cinderella at the college this weekend. I'm more or less living in Alamosa until Saturday night because of it. Though I'm no longer a ballerina, I do still enjoy jazz and tap. Love it actually, though it doesn't replace figure skating. Just wish the studio was closer to my house so I could afford to dance more than once a week. Though I'm by far not the oldest dancer at the academy, I do have class with quite a few high schoolers who get a hoot out of the fact that I'm a HS teacher here in the valley. Occasionally this make me feel somewhat ancient, but usually I feel much younger 'cause this old maid is kicking their butts on a regular basis! What I don't understand is why these girls aren't in better shape? When I was in high school I was in the best shape of my life!

BORED AT WORK?

Cool web site with some really fun links to games and puzzles to kill time with. My students use this site all the time and I'd rather have them challenging their minds with games such as these than cruising through MySpace. I also have visited during my planning periods when I just feel burnt out from grading papers or way long days... ;)

'SAFER' HIGH?

We've had some issues here at my school and in the valley concerning the misuse of 'legal' drugs. This is dealing with the distribution of prescription pain killers, over the counter items, as well as the abuse of drugs used to control depression, ADD, ADHA, and so on... Despite having a few meetings about this issue and dealing with the students in question, I continue to see this as a possible problem. Surprisingly enough, I ran across an article concerning the exact same problems our school systems up here have been dealing with. So this seems to be more widespread than even I thought, and is actually becoming a nation-wide problem. Is this anything else anybody has heard of? Check out the article and pass on your comments. What worries me is there is some serious mixing of these drugs with alcohol out here. What seems to be a 'safe' high to these students could actually cause some serious liver, kidney and heart problems, not to mention whatever else could occur when you mix drugs...




3 comments:

alanna rose said...

I think you can definitely start a great relationship in a situation like that. I met Jocko at the begining of carnival season, and he was a crazy DSP and a slave to the statue, so I saw him randomly for the first month and then after that it seemed like we were in different states every other term, and now we're married. I think if you are even thinking that this could be a real relationship you need to talk to him about how he feels about working around your crazy schedules.

Crystal said...

About abuse of legal drugs.. I also read an article about teens hanging themselves or having their friends choke them until they pass out. Then, when they're released, the rush of oxygen that comes back gives them a high. Check ou this link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8995984/

AJ said...

The anti-drug commercials call the generation of high school and middle school kids "Generatino RX" because prescription drug abuse is so popular!!